[Mythtv-translators] MythMediaStream Menu strings

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Sat Aug 11 00:22:51 UTC 2012

Hi Rune!

On 8/10/2012 7:31 AM, Rune Evjen wrote:
> is it possible to translate the menu strings in MythMediaStream Menu as
> part of the new MythMediaStream theme ?

Everything is possible... (-;

> The strings are customized compared to the standard meny strings and
> resides in  ~/.mythtv/themes/MythMediaStream Menu when using the theme
> dowloader.
> Will these be picked up by the themestring tool before .26 release?

The themestring tool was already run. I was thinking of running it
before we're in full string freeze to make sure we have the latest
strings (otherwise the texts will be shown in English as you have seen)
for the themes we currently translate but I am not allowed to run it to
add what is most likely a few hundred string while we are in string
freeze...

We promised you, our translators, we wouldn't add new strings unless it
was absolutely necessary and adding the strings from MythMediaStream
would break that promise...

If every translator agrees to add this theme strings now I could most
likely ask for an exception and would most likely obtain it but past
experience tell me that I will most likely get "no" votes...

(And a single no vote would mean we don't add them...)

We currently translate a subset of the available themes because if we
translated all of them we would add something like a thousand new
strings. It will eventually be possible to translate on a per-theme
basis but that is not yet possible...  The number of themes with strings
unique to their theme simply rose too fast and the solution we have been
using doesn't scale very well...

(I've been thinking quite a great deal about this problem recently and I
can't say I'm surprised the question about translating MythMediaStream
came up...)

> Some examples from mainmenu.xml are:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
> <mythmenu name="MAIN">
>
>      <button>
>          <type>TV_WATCH_TV</type>
>          <text>Television</text>
>          <description>Watch live</description>
>          <action>TV_WATCH_LIVE</action>
>      </button>

<snip>

> ..of which "Watch your" is not a translatable string while "Movies" are
> correctly translated to "Filmer".
> Best regards,

Yep, I know... The example you provided only shows some of the fields we
translate, we actually extract more...

It's quite unfortunate that this theme was only made available this
close to release...

There is something I could do though...

I could provide every translator interested in translating this theme a
patch they could apply which would add the new strings, Once the patch
is applied you could run lupdate and get the new strings...

The problem with this is that if you run lupdate later without that
patch applied all those new strings would be marked obsolete so running
lupdate without this patch applied would be a big "no no" (especially if
you run it with --no-obsolete...!!!).

The best solution would be to add the new strings to the repo like we
normally do but as I said, I need every currently active translator to
agree to this and no "no" vote...

Thank you for your work and have a nice day!

Nicolas
MythTV developer and translator