[Mythtv-translators] How to change the language setting after mythTV setup?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 26 16:12:13 UTC 2011

On 07/23/2011 06:26 PM, Bin Xu wrote:
> I am new to MythTV so correct me if I am wrong.
>
> I try to contribute to the translations and find I cannot change the
> language setup to test my translations. So I spend a little time with
> the code and change the language in mysql database settings table. And
> it works now.
>
> My question is, is it possible to change the language setting after
> the initial setup under mythtv-setup? I did see the language and
> country setup during first settings screen.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but after I wrote up a response, I
checked the mythfrontend --help output, and it seemed to indicate that I
was wrong.  Yesterday, however, Stuart Morgan confirmed that the
approach I had planned to tell you about does work (and we will likely
change the --help output to better describe what it does).  Then I took
another day trying to find your post so I could actually reply.

Anyway, just use:

mythfrontend -p

to prompt for the language.  It's listed in the --help output as:

-p or --prompt                 Always prompt for Mythbackend selection.

but will actually cause a prompt for language (as we need to ensure we
ask about database/backend using the proper language).

Mike