[mythtv-theming] Mythbuntu theme feedback. Changes are a coming

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Sep 4 18:39:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2013, at 11:26, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
>
>> When I did use Fanart, it was my experience that the database was very
>> US-centric, producing no results for Australian content and poor
>> results for British content. Your proposed changes would result in 2/3
>> of my screen being filled with emptiness a lot of the time, for no
>> usability benefit.
>
> TheMovieDb and TheTVDb are both entirely user generated content.  If you find them lacking, spend some time and improve them.

Sorry this is so late, apparently I only replied to Yeechang Lee with this.

I've been doing some testing on the recordings screen after hearing
this feedback. This view adds banner and brings back coverart
(although in a different location since the shows are still moving
left). I'm a bit hesitant to put the preview screen back though, as
I've never really liked it that much.

Here's what it looks like so far.

http://imagebin.org/269437

I also want to test rounding out the corners of both the coverart and
banner. I'm toying with the idea of making the top section a bit
thicker and moving the banner up there, then moving the episode icons
(comm flagged, audio, resolution, etc) into the description field.

I think this view gives us the best of both worlds, although it still
needs a bit of tweaking. As for the Mythvideo changes I made, they
were really minor as it was only for the browser view (which looked
almost identical to that anyway.

I'd like to add that I agree with Raymond, the coverart and fanart is
user generated content. Please don't complain to us that it is US
centric, instead go and add content to it that is for your locale
(after all, that is what we did). While I love feedback and am willing
to make changes that people want, I am not going to hold back the
theme due to some locales missing fanart/coverart/banners.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos