[mythtv-theming] New MythTV notification center and theme...

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Wed Jul 31 01:27:12 UTC 2013

Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote on Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:38:19PM +1000:
> On 29 July 2013 08:13, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list at zoho.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for adding all these theming enhancements, Jean-Yves. I have
> > one question about the logical operators in the depends clause. Did
> > you consider supporting the words "and" and "or" instead of (or in
> > addition to) the "&" and "|" symbols? That way we could avoid the
> > requirement of using "&amp;" in place of "&".
>
> this would only complicate things. Having single character separator
> is trivial to handle.
> having things like and or or any other words complicate things
> greatly. Like "color" so you would need space and have to use %20
> anyway...

Are you saying we can't do something like depends="a and b", because
instead of spaces we'd need to do depends="a%20and%20b"? If that's
true, it's obviously no improvement over depends="a&amp;b". However, I
can't find any reference to the requirement to escape embedded spaces
in XML attribute values. In fact, I can create a textarea in my theme
with name="spacey text area", and it works fine.

As for getting confused about the "or" in "color", I think you could
deal with that by splitting the string on " or " instead of "or".
These operators always come between two names, so they must be
surrounded by spaces. Now I suppose someone might try to name three
widgets "a", "b", and "a or b", in which case depends="a or b" would
be ambiguous. But you'd have the same issue if someone named a widget
"a|b", so this problem isn't specific to the word forms of the
operators.