[mythtv-theming] Theme downloader site updated for trunk/master.

Robert Siebert trebor_s at web.de
Tue Jan 18 16:58:48 UTC 2011

Jan 18, 2011 at 01:44:35PM +0100, Federico Ferri wrote:
>> You can
checkout the a-forest theme from : svn co
http://a-forest.googlecode.com/svn/branches/0.24 [1] svn co
http://a-forest.googlecode.com/svn/branches/mythtv-master [2]
> Thanks.
I updated by script to pull from this subversion repo.

>> How the
update will work? do you update when the branches are updated so it
doesn't matter if we change or don't change the major/minor version
number?
> For now, I am running the script every week or so manually.
We're in the middle of a webserver upgrade, so I didn't want to automate
the updates until the migration back to the new server was finished. It
will still be a 2-part process even when updated. The .zip packages
themeselves are pulled from ftp.osuosl.org which is the official MythTV
FTP mirror hosted by OSU. Currently they mirror our directory at around
4 or 5AM UTC. When I automate things, I'll have to drop the .zip files
into place before the mirror process runs, and then update the
downloadable theme index on the website after the mirror process runs. I
can always force a manual update if you email me and let me know that
there have been updates. Once I have this automated, there will probably
be a couple other devs who can force an update as well. That should hold
us until we can get a real upload site working which will allow you to
force your own update of your theme. The major/minor number needs to
change if you want people to know that there is a new version available.
The current theme chooser screen has statetypes that indicate whether
there is a new version of a theme available. I have a patch that I've
been (slowly) working on that will proactively notify the user if the
theme they are using has been updated so they can download the new
version. The major/minor numbers are integers, so you can, for instance,
have 1.150 as a valid version. I wouldn't update the version number at
every little change though, that's part of the reason to have a separate
working directory and 'release' directory in your repository. You can
make a group of changes and then release a single new version by merging
those changes into the 0.24 or mythtv-master branch and bumping the
version number in those branches. I need to get someone to fix the
permissions on the new temporary webserver so I can update the theme
index, so hopefully in a day or so your updated theme will show up in
the theme chooser. That goes for others as well, I've downloaded updates
and built new .zip packages, but haven't pushed the updated index to the
themes download website yet. I'm not sure if I ever mentioned why, but
the reason for repackaging all themes as .zip files is to guarantee
compatibility with mythfrontend without having to install or link in a
bunch of archiving/compression libraries or shell out to external
programs to extract and install a theme. I have source code to a GTL-ed
Qt-compatible C++ Zip/Unzip set of routines and the unzip side is now
included in one of MythTV's core libraries. I don't expect themers to
package their own themes in a .zip file and it won't save me any time if
they do, the destination .zip file is purely for internal mythfrontend
compatibility. -- Chris _______________________________________________

Hi Chris,

good to know. I guess I have to setup my git server to allow public
pulls.

Other than that I'd like to inform you about the two new theme
versions 1.3 and 1.4 of the blue abstract theme. The zips and
information are on the wiki site. I hope you can add these versions.

Best regards

Robert S

Links:
------