[mythtv-theming] Theming for the new 'Theme Chooser' screen

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 16:10:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Elkin Fricke <managementboy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I understand the changesets 25002 and 25003 correctly, we now have
> a place to select Themes to be downloaded and installed within
> MythFrontend. First of all thanks for this cool new feature!
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> - How can independent Theme Developers like myself submit their work
> to this new repository? Is this even planed?

It is planned, but it is not yet possible.

> - Can the "author", "version" (major, minor), "baseres" and "errata"
> from the themeinfo.xml be added to the screen too? I saw some
> screenshots at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/443230
> that indicated that some of these where possible. Nice would be to be
> able to have a statetype to show if the theme is UI and/or OSD
> (feature request without patch).

Yes, most of the relevant information is themeable.  I will document
the theme chooser later today.

> - can the Theme Developer somehow state which screens have been
> themed? I mean, something like a percentage completed or a list of
> plugins supported by the theme? or should this be done by writing
> these issues into the description field of themeinfo.xml?

You can put it in the description, but ideally you would provide a
complete theme, not just a smattering of screens.  Since there is
presently no user submission mechanism and we have to manually update
the downloadable packages, we'd need something as close to what one
considered "complete" as possible, since it could not be arbitrarily
or frequently changed for now.  Realistically, if you want the package
updated right now, you could be in for a wait of weeks or even months,
at least until we get user submission of themes going.

Robert