[mythtv-theming] coverfile vs screenshot

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 18 19:40:10 UTC 2009

On 08/18/2009 01:18 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> paul10 wrote:
>
>>> Bind a key to SCREENSHOT in the TV Playback context using MythControls.
>>> Then, hit that key during playback or when paused. Then, check
>>> $HOME/.mythtv for the screenshot image.
>> I've done this, and it reports "screenshot taken successfully."  Can't find
>> the thing though :-).  My $HOME is set to my home directory (/home/paul),
>> but in .mythtv there is no screenshot.  Would this be the home directory of
>> the user that the frontend is running under, or the $HOME of the backend?
>> Is there any other variable anywhere that controls it that I may have
>> overwritten?
> Looks like the default  location is in /tmp but can be changed by
> editing the ScreenShotPath setting in the DB.

Well, that's another thing...

There's both an in-playback screenshot capability that uses the
SCREENSHOT *keybinding* and a GUI screenshot capability which uses the
ScreenShot (yes, capitalized differently) *jumppoint*.  The in-playback
screenshot is in libs/libmythtv/tv_play.cpp in TV::ActiveHandleAction()
around line 4160.  The GUI screenshot is in the
MythMainWindow::screenShot() functions.

The GUI screenshot uses ScreenShotPath, but the in-playback screenshot
doesn't:

    QString outFile =
        QString("%1/.mythtv/%2_%3_%4.png")
        .arg(QDir::homePath()).arg(ctx->playingInfo->chanid)
        .arg(ctx->playingInfo->recstartts.toString("yyyyMMddhhmmss"))
        .arg((long)frameNumber);

TTBOMK, the GUI screenshot jumppoint still only works in TV playback
with certain renderers and, when it works, includes the OSD.  The
in-playback screenshot keybinding works with all renderers and does not
include the OSD (or captions or ...).

See http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/16532 for more on the GUI
screenshot jumppoint and http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/12908 for
the in-playback screenshot keybinding stuff.

Yeah, I know.  Consistency...  If no one else gets to it, I may actually
find some time to work on improving the consistency (including allowing
the jumppoint to fall-back to using the in-playback screenshot
capability when we're using a renderer that won't work with the
jumppoint capability), but it will be a while.  It's been on my TODO
since the GUI screenshot went in, but it's not high on my list (at all).

> It does say in the FE log where the screenshot has been saved. Oddly I
> seem to be getting 5 screenshots for each press of the SCREENSHOT key!!

Haven't tried it on trunk, so I haven't seen that.  Is that the GUI
screenshot or the in-playback "video" screenshot or some weird issue
resulting from having both the keybinding and the jumppoint mapped to
the same key?

Mike