[mythtv] Android build

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue May 2 02:32:10 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 12:54 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked into the play store, for mythbackend and also for leanfront.
>  From what I found, Android and Amazon are far more strict about the app
> store for android TV than for regular android for phones and tablets.
> They want to review and test each TV application before approving it.
> This would be impossible without a working MythTV backend. Looking at
> the list of requirements for adding it to the store, I became
> discouraged with the number of difficult or impossible requirements.

In addition, any inclusion of any licensed technologies
included in the app will be expected (required) to
obtain the licenses to redistribute from the
appropriately licensing organizations (and pay
them their fees, which can end up being a lot of
money, so that usually means the app has to
charge something to be able to pay the license
fees (unless the individual is willing to pay
those fees for everyone, which can end up
being a lot of money)).  Using only the
vendor supplied on-device solutions (i.e. not an
embedded FFmpeg) may be able to avoid those
licensing issues (check with your IP lawyer to be
sure), but also restricts presentation capabilities
to what the vendor provides to apps (and, of
course, you have to use those vendor interfaces).