[mythtv] Android build

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon May 1 23:19:07 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 02, 2023 at 08:13:08AM +1000, Mark Spieth wrote:
> On 2/05/2023 7:49 am, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 9:35 PM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds good to me. We could even add a menu item just for convenience.
> > > With a bit of warning in the help text of course.
> > > One more step towards getting it to "just work".
> > Or "just break without clue" if some
> > future schema changes turns out to
> > be significant enough (including,
> > possibly, resulting in "corruption",
> > as some of the past changes have
> > re-formatted existing data in the
> > tables, and if the frontend updates
> > those tables in the old way there is
> > no way that it will get fixed again
> > as part of the original schema
> > change, since that already happened).
> >
> > If the database schema is wrong
> > and you want to allow things to
> > start up, you should put the
> > database into read-only mode
> > to insure no corruption.
>
> That can happen too. However I've never seen it in practice. It does require
> that the backend and frontend are reasonably closely matched, which is often
> the case.

It can definitely happen but the severity of the ensuing carnage
greatly depends on the exact, schema changes.  That's one reason we
should try to make the frontend use API calls exclusively or at least
as much as possible.  It would hopefully force us to improve API
compatibility and shield it from schema changes.

> Another way is in the config.xml (which is local) which is what I think
> Peter was referring to.
>
> Would it be worthwhile to try to get the app in to the store? With the above
> feature, it wouldn't be  such an issue with DB version matching and
> selection.

Someone looked into getting into the play store a long time ago.  It
might have been Peter but I'm certainly not sure.  As I recall, it
would not be a quick and simple task.

I believe one stumbling block would be supporting multiple backend
versions.  Until the frontend is API'ized, each backend version would
probably have to have its own, frontend app.  I seem to recall that
being frowned upon by Google, but as infrequently as MythTV is
officially released, it might not be a deal breaker.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net