[mythtv] Consideration of removing dblogging

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 19:23:54 UTC 2023

Reviewing a stash on a machine that I was looking to
retire I noticed an idea I had sort of toyed with many
years ago (in the 0.28 time frame) to remove db logging.

Per the explicit development guidelines about asking
permission in advance for any PR that is changing
codes in more than a trivial way, I am considering a
PR that will remove db logging.

Is there interest in reviewing such a PR should I
submit it?

My stash itself predates a number of other changes
such as mostly (but not entirely) removing of the
logserver, so I would need to do some rework, so
it is not likely to happen any time soon, but I figured
I would ask if I should just drop the stash and move
on or add it back to the TODO list.

Background:

I consider db logging to be an interesting idea for
a time that no longer is, and no-dblog has been the
default for quite some time now in the code base.
I would be surprised if anyone is still trying to use it.

Issues/Reasoning for removal:

   - no-dblog has been the default for some time.
   - logging to the database requires a database connection,
     and the long term goal of either an embedded database,
     or a "services" frontend suggests logging to the database
     is a bad long term plan.
   - logging to the database exacerbates database overhead,
     meaning that logging to find database issues results in
     more database issues.
   - there is some hoop jumping in the various code(s)
     to deal with db logging (and cleanup is good).
   - there is no services API to log to a central location
     (if someone thinks dblogging is a good idea)
   - simplification by dropping support for something that
     is believed to not be being used.