[mythtv] FFmpeg 6.0

David Engel david at istwok.net
Wed Mar 1 18:28:05 UTC 2023

On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 06:19:25PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Good day,
>
> The current FFmpeg in MythTV is a LTS release
> so there is no hurry to upgrade (in theory, important
> fixes will get included in some 5.2 future update),
> but FFmpeg 6.0 was released yesterday as the
> next newest best version.

I saw that but haven't investigated yet.

> The FFmpeg team states that it is their intent to
> release one major version per year going forward,
> with the intention to formally remove deprecated
> APIs after 3 releases (rather than letting them
> linger for (almost) forever as in some past cases).
>
> A couple of things caught my attention that might
> (eventually) be of interest.
>
> * Various HDR improvements
> * MediaCodec support (via NDKMediaCodec)

Ooh, that sounds very interesting.  A change to use AImageReader for
rendering and bypasses the Java interface has been on my radar for a
while.  I wonder if this is the official inclusion of that support.

Of course, possibly using Google Flutter for an entirely, new,
cross-platform, frontend has been on my much more distant radar too.

David

--
David Engel
david at istwok.net