[mythtv] Kernel dropped support for SAA7146 DVB Cards

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Jul 23 01:27:31 UTC 2023

On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 09:24:38AM +1000, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> G'day,
>
> It looks like support for SAA7146 based DVB cards has been dropped from the
> kernel.
>
> Ref: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-media/517fcea8-bc76-255c-da59-43c0b7f56486@xs4all.nl/
>
> Is there anything I can do about this?
> Is it feasible to compile the drivers myself?
>
> Is it worth buying new PCI DVB cards?  Do these even exist??!

Moved to staging is not quite the same as dropped.  It's still there.

Also that message is from almost 1 year ago, and looking at the current
kernel git tree, the driver has in fact not been moved to staging,
it's still where it was before.

I even see updates and fixes done to that driver in the last few months.

For example:
commit 017984559d09aef296011f9a8e9ce855404ad519