[mythtv] Consideration of removing dblogging

David Hampton mythtv at love2code.net
Sat Apr 1 14:36:58 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2023-03-22 at 10:42 -0500, David Engel wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 01:00:12AM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 12:24 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this about sending MythTV logs to the database and not about
> > > logging about database operations in MythTV?  If so, I have no
> > > issues
> > > with removing it either.
> >
> > This is about logging *to* the database (the
> > "logging" table)  It could allow MythTV to
> > provide a centralized logging service, or
> > supplementing (or replacing) syslog, file, or
> > journald logging, and (as I recall) mythweb
> > could even display it if so configured.
> >
> > It has been set to disabled (by default)
> > for a long time.
>
> Thanks.  Proceed with your PR.  I see no reason to carry around a
> reinvented wheel that isn't even being used.  There are better
> alternatives available for those that really want searchable logs.

I'll take care of this.  There's a lot of cruft in there that could
have been removed four years ago when the mythlogserver program was
removed.

I just spent time removing the old qjsonwrapper external qt4->qt5 json
bridge code.  Since that code was used as the connection from
logging.cpp to loggingserver.cpp, that got me looking at all the
unnecessary code in loggingserver.cpp.  (I.E. There's no need to
convert an object to json and back if all the code executes in the same
process, and there's no need for client->logger and logger->client maps
if there's only ever one client.)  I punted on cleaning up that code
four years ago, so now seems like a good time for me to finish the
removal of the mythlogserver program.

David