[mythtv] Watch Live => automatic recording

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Sep 5 21:51:51 UTC 2022

On Mon, Sep 05, 2022 at 03:41:19PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 9/5/22 12:26, John P Poet wrote:
> > I am visiting my mom and updating her MythTV system. During testing I
> > have discovered that if you go to the Guide and "Watch this Channel",
> > when you exit LiveTV it continues to record that show. I have never seen
> > this behavior before and cannot figure out how to turn it off.  Can
> > someone please tell me where that setting is? She is running master.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
> >

> Hi John
>
> I don't think there is a setting for that.
>
> I just ran a test on latest master, from the guide ran "watch this channel",
> watched for 2 minutes and exited. The recording ended as expected and there
> is a two minute 18 second recording in the LiveTV group.
>
> There is also a 0 byte recording showing in the LiveTV group, that seems
> like a bug.
>
> The only way I can think that you saw it continue recording is if you
> invoked the "ToggleRecord"  button (default R) while playing, which converts
> your live TV session into a permanent recording.

I agree that ToggleRecord somehow got activated.  When activated, it
reserves that tuner for continued recording of the program until it
ends.  FWIW, there was an issue reported a while back about that
feature not working.  In the process of looking into it, I realized
how crazy the logic is and how badly it can interact with the
scheduler.  I could not reproduce the reported problem so I left
things as they were.  I still don't have a good solution on how to
better perform the record after starting live TV feature.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net