[mythtv] Replace the QtWebKit code

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sun Mar 13 11:23:34 UTC 2022

On 12/03/2022 07:47, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 09:22 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Does mythmusic use webkit?
> It uses it solely to allow for lookup of artwork.
>
> You might find https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/334 which allows
> building mythmusic without that functionality useful. It has since been
> reverted though,see discussion on
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/328.
>
> IIRC from memory when I did #334 I couldn't actually get the artwork
> lookup stuff to work in the before state anyway, but I could be
> misremembering (or was using it wrongly).
>
> Personally I don't use artwork lookup in mythmusic (I use a scanner...)
> so my opinion is surely biased but FWIW IMHO if it is holding back the
> transition from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine I don't think dropping the
> feature would be a huge loss, but given there are other critical uses
> of QtWekKit I don't know how useful it would actually be to skip the
> mythmusic part, OTOH I'd much rather have mythmusic without that
> feature than no mythmusic at all...
>
> HTH
> Ian.

Yes you can easily remove the dependency on WebKit from MythMusic but
IMHO that's not the real issue here. It's not what is holding up the
switch to QtWebEngine.

The issue is the rendering of the WebEngine widget isn't compatible with
the OpenGL rendering code in MythTV. If that could be solved then the
switch over would be fairly straight forward.

We could just remove everything that uses WebKit and be done with it but
with it you remove most of the plugins and any hope of modernizing the
frontend to support all the new streaming services.

The offer still stands if someone wants to take a look at the WIP patch
I have they are welcome assuming I still have it stashed somewhere. It
did partially work but only by disabling anything that causes MythUI to
update the screen while the browser had focus and I think the key press
handling was a little screwed up.

Paul H.