[mythtv] QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube

Mark Spieth mark at digivation.com.au
Thu Mar 10 02:13:19 UTC 2022

On 10/03/2022 9:49 am, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/9/22 16:33, Mark Spieth wrote:
>> On 10/03/2022 3:07 am, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>> This is the bug report:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/368
>>>
>>> This only happens on the user's Shield Tube, but has been happening
>>> for eight months. During playback he crashes at random times.
>>>
>>> The backtrace and debug prints he has supplied show that an address
>>> is being corrupted in the Qt slot system. In the first parameter,
>>> the first digit of the address is changed from 0xa to 0x2. It
>>> crashes in moc_mythsocket.cpp while trying to build the parameter
>>> list for calling MythSocket::ReadStringListReal or
>>> MythSocket::ReadReal. The call originates in
>>> MythSocket::ReadStringList or MythSocket::Read which use the slot
>>> mechanism to call the "Real" versions of those methods, which may be
>>> in a different thread.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any ideas how to proceed? I cannot recreate it
>>> myself as I do not have a Shield Tube. Also I do not understand how
>>> QT internal address lists could get corrupted.
>>
>> Is it fixed in QT6 or latest?
>>
>> Is it a regression? Should we downgrade QT? If so to which version?
>>
>> I can do a QT update if I know it will help.
>>
>> Mark

> We can try the latest QT and see if that helps. I don't know the
> status of getting QT6 to work with MythTV. What is involved in
> building with QT6 ? Do we just update the download location?

There will be a whole new set of patches. May be lucky and no patches
are required.

Just tried with 5.15.3 but wouldn't download. Will spend some time on
the weekend updating to at least 5.15.3 and we'll see how that goes.

The current one is 5.14.1

I've also had issues with 32bit on firetv max so have been using leanfront.

It sounded like the issue is known but there is no patch yet.

Maybe Ill try qt6 just for fun. I seem to remember some work was done to
make that work.

Mark