[mythtv] ffmpeg pull requests

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:35:17 UTC 2022

On 6/13/22 09:33, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/12/22 21:08, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> New plan:
>> 1. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 ffmpeg cleanup which
>> includes:
>> 1.1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
>> 1.1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
>> 1.1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV
>> changes
>> 1.1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
>>
>> 1.2. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on
>> 1z only)
>> 1.2a. test bitreader independently? I'm not sure how.
>>
>> 1.3. ffmpeg-cleanup also includes av_disposition which is the first
>> commit in https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 and the second
>> mpegts-mythtv.h harmonize commit (in reverse order for some unknown
>> reason)
>>
>> 2. test new FFmpeg cleanup
>>
>> 3. merge FFmpeg cleanup into master
>>
>> 4. apply the harmonize commits to a MythTV branch (I'll rebase
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 once the cleanup commits
>> are merged.)
>>
>> 5. Test the harmonize branch, especially with DSMCC/MHEG, which I
>> couldn't test.
>>
>> 6. apply the harmonize commits to FFmpeg
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4
>>
>> 7. Apply FFmpeg commits until version 5.0
>>
>> 8.  copy FFmpeg 5.0 into mythtv
>>
>> 9. test FFmpeg 5.0
>>
>> Scott
>
> Thanks for rebasing that.
>
> I recreated devel/ffmpeg-sync from master and ran step 1 (pull #416).
> There were 66 commits applied successfully. I have pushed it, so you
> can look at it.
>
> 50 of these commits updated files in external/FFmpeg.
>
> Do you have a FFmpeg pull request that makes these changes in the
> mythtv/FFmpeg repository? How will we get them to MythTV/FFmpeg?

You already merged most of the FFmpeg cleanup to our FFmpeg repository.
I'll create a new PR (or reuse https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5
to add the few not yet merged changes that are in FFmpeg cleanup.

> I prefer to keep commits that update FFmpeg separate from ones that
> don't, because of the separate FFmpeg repository we have.

Since I already separated the mythtv changes when creating the already
merged commits for the FFmpeg repository, I don't see any harm in having
commits that change both at the same time.

> Are there any of these that update FFmpeg files as well as MythTV files?

* da498f9f05 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : remove FFmpeg addition
ff_codec_type_string()
I could separate this, but I don't see the point since the change is
already in the FFmpeg repository.

* 64a3c60ee5 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : replace ff_codec_id_string()
with avcodec_get_name()
This requires 1c346ec1ac 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : add MPEG2VBI and
DVB_VBI to codec_desc.c (ffmpeg only change) for the MythTV changes to
work properly in all cases.  Again, I could separate this, but I don't
see the point since the change is already in the FFmpeg repository.

The only other mixed commit is beba76345e 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen :
mpegts-mythtv.c: export disposition from ISO_639_LANGUAGE_DESCRIPTOR.  I
could split this and have the FFmpeg change first, but it makes more
sense to me to keep them as one atomic commit since the MythTV change
requires the FFmpeg one to work properly.

Scott