[mythtv] ffmpeg pull requests

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 13:27:37 UTC 2022

On 6/2/22 13:39, Scott Theisen wrote:
> On 6/2/22 09:45, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 6/1/22 20:43, Scott Theisen wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how you want to do this because there were 331 commits
>>> in
>>> c67d2a287502845baadf986a9c63e6117a25be3f..7e0d640edf6c3eee1816b105c2f7498c4f948e74
>>> (base of MythTV/FFmpeg/master and base of MythTV/FFmpeg/release/4.4)
>>> so simply copying FFmpeg/master into MythTV creates a very large
>>> diff with lots of extraneous changes.
>>>
>>> Should I create a new PR against
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4 that has my
>>> changes already in FFmpeg/master?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Scott
>>
>> What I have done up to now is maintain the ffmpeg history in
>> MythTV/FFmpeg, and copy it over into MythTV when moving to a new
>> version. This does create a large commit with a lot of extraneous
>> changes, and we live with that. The Actual history would be in
>> MythTV/FFmpeg.
>>
>> At this point we should not be updating
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4. All updating
>> should be in  https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/master.
>> Eventually we will merge the real FFmpeg master into
>> MythTV/FFmpeg/master, but only up to the point where they branched
>> off version 5. Then create our own version 5 from that point and
>> merge in FFmpeg version 5 branch into our version 5 branch.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> So, if I understand correctly, because my harmonize commits depend on
> the cleanup to the rest of FFmpeg and to enable testing of just those
> cleanup changes to FFmpeg, after the MythTV changes (568, 565, 576,
> 557, & 577) have been merged I should create another pull request (or
> probably reuse 416) to MythTV that contains the rest of the cleanup
> changes to FFmpeg that are already in FFmpeg/master.
>
> After those cleanup changes have been committed to MythTV, I can
> rebase https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 to just have the
> harmonize commits also in https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 to
> enable testing of the harmonize changes.
>
> Scott

Can I just follow your original list?

Plus a couple of steps of mine.

Summary/order of operations:
0a. Apply 2 commits to MythTV/FFmpeg master that were made in
MythTV/mythtv master:
   * 6a79086179 2022/02/24 Martin Storsjö : configure: arm: Don't add
-march= to the compiler if no preference was passed
   * 85d37a5915 2022/02/24 Anton Khirnov : configure: link to libatomic
when it's present
0b. rebase MythTV/mythtv devel/ffmpeg-resync from MythTV/mythtv master.
There are 76 commits here.
1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV changes
1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader

2. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on 1z only)
2a. test? I'm not sure how.

3.   copy FFmpeg/master into mythtv (depends on all of 1 and 2)

4.   Test changes to FFmpeg (should have already tested good)

5*. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/575 and
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 av_disposition should be added
here to match the histories of FFmpeg and mythtv (otherwise it could be
part of 1)

6. apply the harmonize commits to FFmpeg
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4

7. copy the harmonized FFmpeg to mythtv

8. Test new mpegts-mythtv, especially with DSMCC/MHEG, which I couldn't
test.

9. Apply FFmpeg commits until version 5.0

10.  copy FFmpeg 5.0 into mythtv

11. test FFmpeg 5.0