[mythtv] ffmpeg pull requests

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 17:39:36 UTC 2022

On 6/2/22 09:45, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/1/22 20:43, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> I'm not sure how you want to do this because there were 331 commits
>> in
>> c67d2a287502845baadf986a9c63e6117a25be3f..7e0d640edf6c3eee1816b105c2f7498c4f948e74
>> (base of MythTV/FFmpeg/master and base of MythTV/FFmpeg/release/4.4)
>> so simply copying FFmpeg/master into MythTV creates a very large diff
>> with lots of extraneous changes.
>>
>> Should I create a new PR against
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4 that has my changes
>> already in FFmpeg/master?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott
>
> What I have done up to now is maintain the ffmpeg history in
> MythTV/FFmpeg, and copy it over into MythTV when moving to a new
> version. This does create a large commit with a lot of extraneous
> changes, and we live with that. The Actual history would be in
> MythTV/FFmpeg.
>
> At this point we should not be updating
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4. All updating should
> be in  https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/master. Eventually we
> will merge the real FFmpeg master into MythTV/FFmpeg/master, but only
> up to the point where they branched off version 5. Then create our own
> version 5 from that point and merge in FFmpeg version 5 branch into
> our version 5 branch.
>
> Peter

So, if I understand correctly, because my harmonize commits depend on
the cleanup to the rest of FFmpeg and to enable testing of just those
cleanup changes to FFmpeg, after the MythTV changes (568, 565, 576, 557,
& 577) have been merged I should create another pull request (or
probably reuse 416) to MythTV that contains the rest of the cleanup
changes to FFmpeg that are already in FFmpeg/master.

After those cleanup changes have been committed to MythTV, I can rebase
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 to just have the harmonize
commits also in https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 to enable
testing of the harmonize changes.

Scott