[mythtv] ffmpeg pull requests

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 00:43:07 UTC 2022

>>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 note:
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524/commits/323e3ddaa4ac9acced65d9826908f41a1360932d
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Scott
>>
>> Let's not redo anything that is already done if it is correct. I can
>> continue with committing to the ffmpeg-resync branch. I will first
>> rebase ffmpeg-resync onto master.
>>
>> FFmpeg Pull request #4 states that it replaces #3, should we close #3?
>
> I have now closed #3.
>

>> You say above either pull#5 or first commit in pull #4. Is the rest
>> of pull #4 already in the mythtv pull request, or where does it fit in?
>
> This is the harmonization of mpegts-mythtv.(c|h) with mpegts.(c|h),
> which replaces the use of the deprecated AVPacket API, hopefully
> allowing it to compile with FFmpeg 5.0 without further change.  This
> also allows us to see what the customizations actually are.  This is
> the second step to the cleanup, following the already merged to
> ffmpeg/master cleanup.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 corresponds to
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 .  However, 524
> includes/depends on pull#416
>

>> Are we doing 565, 566, 568 as mentioned in your first response? Are
>> we doing 575 as mentioned in your second response?
>
> 565: yes
> 566: maybe, only if you want that history in mythtv separate from
> copying over FFmpeg/master
> 568: yes, minor stylistic change to MythTV I made when doing otherwise
> orthogonal changes.
> 575: yes
>

>> After committing the ffmpeg pull requests will the mythtv copy of
>> ffmpeg match the FFmpeg copy? Or is that a later synchronization? Or
>> should I copy it now?
>>
>> Perhaps you could summarize what should actually be done and in what
>> order?
>>
>> At the end of the day, the source code in FFmpeg repo should match
>> the mythtv/external/ffmpeg contents.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Summary/order of operations:
> 1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
> 1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
> 1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV
> changes
> 1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
>
> 2.   https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on
> 1z only)
> 2a. test? I'm not sure how.
>
> 3.   copy FFmpeg/master into mythtv (depends on all of 1 and 2)

Peter,

I'm not sure how you want to do this because there were 331 commits in
c67d2a287502845baadf986a9c63e6117a25be3f..7e0d640edf6c3eee1816b105c2f7498c4f948e74
(base of MythTV/FFmpeg/master and base of MythTV/FFmpeg/release/4.4) so
simply copying FFmpeg/master into MythTV creates a very large diff with
lots of extraneous changes.

Should I create a new PR against
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4 that has my changes
already in FFmpeg/master?