[mythtv] ffmpeg pull requests

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 20:36:05 UTC 2022

On 6/1/22 15:40, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/1/22 01:05, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> av_disposition: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/575 and
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 or first commit in
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 (which uses the new `#define`)
>>
>> lavc/utils-mythtv: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 the
>> changes to FFmpeg are already merged to FFmpeg/master, but I can redo
>> it to make the minimal changes to FFmpeg if desired.
>>
>> MythTV only changes:
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends
>> on/includes ByteReader)
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV changes
>>
>> After those and the rest of the changes to FFmpeg are merged into
>> MythTV, the harmonize commits can be tested, particularly with
>> DSMCC/MHEG which I don't have access to.
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 corresponds to
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 note:
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524/commits/323e3ddaa4ac9acced65d9826908f41a1360932d
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott
>
> Let's not redo anything that is already done if it is correct. I can
> continue with committing to the ffmpeg-resync branch. I will first
> rebase ffmpeg-resync onto master.
>
> FFmpeg Pull request #4 states that it replaces #3, should we close #3?

I have now closed #3.

> You say above either pull#5 or first commit in pull #4. Is the rest of
> pull #4 already in the mythtv pull request, or where does it fit in?

This is the harmonization of mpegts-mythtv.(c|h) with mpegts.(c|h),
which replaces the use of the deprecated AVPacket API, hopefully
allowing it to compile with FFmpeg 5.0 without further change.  This
also allows us to see what the customizations actually are.  This is the
second step to the cleanup, following the already merged to
ffmpeg/master cleanup.

https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 corresponds to
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 .  However, 524
includes/depends on pull#416

> Are we doing 565, 566, 568 as mentioned in your first response? Are we
> doing 575 as mentioned in your second response?

565: yes
566: maybe, only if you want that history in mythtv separate from
copying over FFmpeg/master
568: yes, minor stylistic change to MythTV I made when doing otherwise
orthogonal changes.
575: yes

> After committing the ffmpeg pull requests will the mythtv copy of
> ffmpeg match the FFmpeg copy? Or is that a later synchronization? Or
> should I copy it now?
>
> Perhaps you could summarize what should actually be done and in what
> order?
>
> At the end of the day, the source code in FFmpeg repo should match the
> mythtv/external/ffmpeg contents.
>
> Peter

Summary/order of operations:
1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV changes
1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader

2.   https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on 1z
only)
2a. test? I'm not sure how.

3.   copy FFmpeg/master into mythtv (depends on all of 1 and 2)

4.   Test changes to FFmpeg (should have already tested good)

5*. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/575 and
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 av_disposition should be added
here to match the histories of FFmpeg and mythtv (otherwise it could be
part of 1)

6. apply the harmonize commits to FFmpeg
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4

7. copy the harmonized FFmpeg to mythtv

8. Test new mpegts-mythtv, especially with DSMCC/MHEG, which I couldn't
test.

9. Apply FFmpeg commits until version 5.0

10.  copy FFmpeg 5.0 into mythtv

11. test FFmpeg 5.0

Does that make sense?

Scott