[mythtv] FFmpeg 5.1 released

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jul 26 01:54:21 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 11:56:58PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
> > Do you happen to know if it includes Aman's workaround for closed
> > captions when using mediacodec?  I doubt it does.
>
> It is not on the changelog (so I doubt it).

The last I heard, [some of] the other, ffmpeg devs thought it was too
hacky or something to that effect.  As I recall, it involves parsing
captions using a BitReader before the audio/video gets passed to
mediacodec (which ignores captions) and then attaching them to the
appropriate packets when mediacode returns them.  I think the hard,
inelegant, hacky part of doing it as an ffmpeg use is that it would
likely require access to ffmpeg internals.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net