[mythtv] mythth 32

James jam at tigger.ws
Fri Jul 8 15:08:57 UTC 2022

This is not a troll but a genuine question/observation.

I am biased, I do not like ubuntu because of the endless 'You shall not ... " eg dmesg eg mythtv password.

After some fumbling I installed 22.04, built from scratch, using anisible, (32-fixes uptodate). I have issues ie playing while recording ... glitch back to beginning ... later ... pause of 15 secs ...

I installed opensuse leap 15.4: much better but still ocassional (once-a-week) ... pause cica 15 secs ...

Using the same hardware with fixes-31I've never had any glitches, ever.

So it seems ubuntu 22.04 is a tad flakey (there were other minor gotchas) and it seems 32-fixes is less robust than 31-fixes.

This machine runs my development VMs so it is a 4 core i7 NUC with 24G RAM and 8T flash. The only spinning rust is for backups.

I do not think io is an issue
/dev/nvme0n1p5:
 Timing cached reads:   37824 MB in  2.00 seconds = 18942.04 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 7850 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2616.18 MB/sec
(I know to take hdparn with a pinch)

Can anybody comment on 22.04
Can anybody comment on 32 vs 31

Thanks