[mythtv] V2Capture::AddCardInput

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jul 5 17:01:14 UTC 2022


On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 09:57:36AM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 9:46 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> 
> > On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 08:28:43AM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jul 5, 2022, 12:33 AM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > > On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 at 05:13, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > >> On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 8:30 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > > >>> On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 08:03:45PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> > > >>> > Hi all,
> > > >>> >
> > > >>> > I don't think the call to CardUtil::IsUniqueDisplayName() should be
> > > >>> fatal
> > > >>> > in V2Capture::AddCardInput. *Only the last two characters* of the
> > > >>> > DisplayName are considered to determine if it is unique. That
> > unfairly
> > > >>> > penalizes users who use a theme which can display more than two
> > > >>> characters.
> > > >>> >
> > > >>> > Thoughts?
> > > >>>
> > > >>> The last two characters of the short, display name can be and is used
> > > >>> in themes.  Without enforcing this uniqueness requirement, themes
> > that
> > > >>> use the short, dispaly name will present ambiguous inputs.
> > > >>>
> > > >>> David
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > > >> It should be up to the user to choose Display Names which work with
> > the
> > > >> theme they have chosen. Why penalize some users just to protect other
> > users
> > > >> from making a poor choice?
> > > >>
> > > >> John
> > > >>
> > > >> As I understand it, it is only a presentation string so it does not
> > > > matter for correct operation.
> > > > Consider using a 4-tuner HDHomeRun box. It is not really important
> > which
> > > > of the four tuners are used so a string like "HC" (short for HDHomerun
> >
> > You are correct that the physical tuner doesn't matter.  However, if
> > you care about scheduling or especially, having to support scheduling
> > issues, the logical tuner very much matters.
> >
> > > > Cable) could then be used for all four input connections.
> > > > So I suggest doing it the same as in mythtv-setup; generate a default
> > that
> > > > is unique, e.g. "Input 12", but leave the decision to the user.
> >
> > It defaults to "Input XX", or at leat it used to.
> >
> > > Let's move CardUtil::IsUniqueDisplayName() to its own services API call.
> > > Then the application can use it to warn the user of the consequences of
> > > their choice.
> >
> > I strongly disagree.  Perhaps you never noticed, but the short,
> > display name is used in multiple places like the System Status screen
> > and the Change Input menu in live TV.  The intent was to replace input
> > number with the [unique] short, display name in every user-facing
> > location.  The reason for that was to more gracefully handle the
> > proliferation of inpuss and increasingly, meaningless numbers.  In my
> > case, I don't even know nor care what my input numbers are anymore.
> >
> > As for the length of the unique part, I think 2 characters is enough.
> > However, as I stated in my private email, 3 could probably work if
> > theme designers agree.
> >
> > David
> >
> 
> David, I generally agree with you on most things, but not this. At least
> not completely. I agree about the part of input numbers being meaningless.
> I disagree that we should punish users of *some* themes just because *other*
> themes went with the "short" name instead of the long one.
> 
> You are right that I never noticed the short name being used in those
> places -- because with the Steppes theme, the short name is *not used
> anywhere*.

I wouldn't call requiring 2 or 3 characters to be unique "punishing".
Is it really that hard?  I also think that's much better than risking
the intentional confussion of users just because they happen to change
themes.

Look, display name must be unique in some way.  I see that as a given.
The question then becomes how to also make it unique when it's used in
a condensed format.  When I added the feature, I chose to use the last
two characters.  It was much simpler than adding yet another name and
it was easy code-wise, wasn't onerous for the user and was also the
most likely place a user would distinguish between two or more of the
same type of input -- Red 1/Red 2, Black 5/Black 6, etc.

If you've got a another suggestion of how to take a unique, display
name and condense it down to 2/3 characters that are also unique, then
let's hear it.  I'm not wedded to the idea of using the last 2
characters.  I'll happily change my input names if you have another
way of maitaining uniqueness of both long and short names.

David
-- 
David Engel
david at istwok.net


More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list