[mythtv] V2Capture::AddCardInput

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 15:57:36 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 9:46 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 08:28:43AM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 5, 2022, 12:33 AM Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> unfairly

> that

> the
> users

> > > matter for correct operation.
> > > Consider using a 4-tuner HDHomeRun box. It is not really important
> which
> > > of the four tuners are used so a string like "HC" (short for HDHomerun
>
> You are correct that the physical tuner doesn't matter.  However, if
> you care about scheduling or especially, having to support scheduling
> issues, the logical tuner very much matters.
>
> > > Cable) could then be used for all four input connections.
> > > So I suggest doing it the same as in mythtv-setup; generate a default
> that
> > > is unique, e.g. "Input 12", but leave the decision to the user.
>
> It defaults to "Input XX", or at leat it used to.
>
> > Let's move CardUtil::IsUniqueDisplayName() to its own services API call.
> > Then the application can use it to warn the user of the consequences of
> > their choice.
>
> I strongly disagree.  Perhaps you never noticed, but the short,
> display name is used in multiple places like the System Status screen
> and the Change Input menu in live TV.  The intent was to replace input
> number with the [unique] short, display name in every user-facing
> location.  The reason for that was to more gracefully handle the
> proliferation of inpuss and increasingly, meaningless numbers.  In my
> case, I don't even know nor care what my input numbers are anymore.
>
> As for the length of the unique part, I think 2 characters is enough.
> However, as I stated in my private email, 3 could probably work if
> theme designers agree.
>
> David

David, I generally agree with you on most things, but not this. At least
not completely. I agree about the part of input numbers being meaningless.
I disagree that we should punish users of *some* themes just because *other*
themes went with the "short" name instead of the long one.

You are right that I never noticed the short name being used in those
places -- because with the Steppes theme, the short name is *not used
anywhere*.

John