[mythtv] V2Capture::AddCardInput

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 06:32:08 UTC 2022

On Tue, 5 Jul 2022 at 05:13, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 8:30 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 08:03:45PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I don't think the call to CardUtil::IsUniqueDisplayName() should be
>> fatal
>> > in V2Capture::AddCardInput. *Only the last two characters* of the
>> > DisplayName are considered to determine if it is unique. That unfairly
>> > penalizes users who use a theme which can display more than two
>> characters.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> The last two characters of the short, display name can be and is used
>> in themes.  Without enforcing this uniqueness requirement, themes that
>> use the short, dispaly name will present ambiguous inputs.
>>
>> David
>>

> It should be up to the user to choose Display Names which work with the
> theme they have chosen. Why penalize some users just to protect other users
> from making a poor choice?
>
> John
>
> As I understand it, it is only a presentation string so it does not matter
for correct operation.
Consider using a 4-tuner HDHomeRun box. It is not really important which of
the four tuners are used so a string like "HC" (short for HDHomerun Cable)
could then be used for all four input connections.
So I suggest doing it the same as in mythtv-setup; generate a default that
is unique, e.g. "Input 12", but leave the decision to the user.

Klaas.