[mythtv] FFmpeg cleanup

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 21:44:04 UTC 2022

On 2/9/22 14:42, Peter Bennett wrote:

> The pull request for ffmpeg cleanup has 73 commits. I will start going
> through them starting at the first and cherry-picking them into MythTV
> master. I will exclude any changes to the ffmpeg directory, as those
> will be made in the MythTV/FFmpeg repository. If any of the changes to
> MythTV are dependent on corresponding FFmpeg changes I will leave them
> until later.

The reason I have the FFmpeg changes there as well, is to enable
bisecting them if necessary with MythTV.

> The MythTV/FFmpeg repository changes will need to be made against
> MythTV/FFmpeg/master, not against 4.4 or 5.0, so that subsequent
> changes from FFmpeg/FFmpeg/master can be incorporated over them into
> MythTV/FFmpeg/master. I plan to cherry-pick the FFmpeg/FFmpeg/master
> changes into MythTV/FFmpeg/master so that there is a linear history
> that can be bisected if necessary.

My understanding of the git workflow with a fork is that you *don't*
want to work on the master branch.  Instead you work on a different
branch (e.g. mythtv-on-master) so you can trivially git pull master.

> I prefer not to squash commits, so that they can be bisected and bad
> commits can be reverted.

My idea was since I have already rebased MythTV's customizations and
have now reverted a number of them, it doesn't make sense to keep that
history in the mythtv/FFmpeg repository.  (It would still be in the
mythtv/mythtv repository.)

It seems we each want equivalent branches with different histories:

  * mythtv-master: includes the reversion commits, which are then buried
    under upstream FFmpeg commits, for ease of bisection.
  * mythtv-on-master: mythtv customizations rebased on top of FFmpeg
    master periodically, so we can see what the customizations are and
    to enable upstreaming.

Re-targeting https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/1 onto
MythTV/FFmpeg/master doesn't look too difficult.

-Scott