[mythtv] FFmpeg

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 18:53:42 UTC 2022

On 2/7/22 12:02, Peter Bennett wrote:
> You have a pull request in MythTV/mythtv for ffmpeg cleanup, and also
> one in mythTV/FFmpeg for reversions.
>
> I would also like to start merging the latest FFmpeg master in
> preparation for FFmpeg 5.0. My process is to merge from FFmpeg/FFmpeg
> master into MythTV/FFmpeg master up to the point where FFmpeg creates
> release/5.0, then create release/5.0 in MythTV/FFmpeg. Once everything
> is successfully merged, then copy the FFmpeg contents into MythTV,
> ffmpeg-resync branch. ffmpeg-resync branch will be deleted and
> recreated from master.
>
> In order to make bisecting FFmpeg changes easier I would like to try
> multiple cherry-pick or rebase instead of merge into our FFmpeg so
> that there is a single line history of commits.
>
> This process necessarily loses all changes that have been committed to
> MythTV/mythtv/external/FFmpeg.
>
> The ffmpeg cleanup pull request contains changes to
> MythTV/mythtv/external/FFmpeg which will be lost. Are all of those
> changes contained in the reversions pull request?

All the changes to external/FFmpeg in
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 are also in
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/1 the reversions PR.

git diff reversions rebase/4.4m3
The only differences are from the extra two upstream commits that I
branched after.

> Do you recommend applying your pull requests before starting the
> merge, rebase or cherry-pick of FFmpeg master into our FFmpeg?

The FFmpeg PR is equivalent to rebase/4.4m3 so I would recommend
applying the MythTV PR first, so I can then rebase and squash those
commits back onto release/4.4.

Then I'll rebase onto FFmpeg's release/5.0.

I am also working on harmonizing mpegts-mythtv.(h|c) with mpegts.(h|c).
See https://github.com/ulmus-scott/FFmpeg/commits/harmonize .

git diff --no-index --color-moved libavformat/mpegts.c
libavformat/mpegts-mythtv.c

I decided since most of the functions using the old packet API were
unmodified by MythTV, it would be easier to just copy the versions from
FFmpeg 4.4.  Unfortunately, most of the MythTV modifications are buried
under 17 years of updates.

Regards,
Scott