[mythtv] Loss of "This server is the Master Backend" configuration in fixes/32

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 22:35:42 UTC 2022

On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 at 23:06, Paul Harrison <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote:

> On 06/02/2022 19:04, John Pilkington wrote:

> >> If you copy /usr/share/mythtv/devicemaster.xml to
> >> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/devicemaster.xml and edit it there, that should
> >> allow you to change the names that show up when selecting backends.

> >> I believe that it is possible to use -O to override settings that are
> >> in the settings table if the program does not have a native way of
> >> changing them.  So something like this might work:
> >>
> >> -O RunFrontendInWindow=1

> > Thanks, Stephen, for your suggestions.  So far I haven't seen any
> > response to my editing of devicemaster.xml, but I did notice that one
> > box is showing 32.202201... and another 33.202202...  Perhaps it needs
> > a reboot to be effective.  I had restarted the backend.
> >

> You need to tell the backend where to look for the new devicemaster.xml
> file.
>

> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP#Overriding_the_default_devicemaster.xml_file
>

> We live and learn! I did not know this.
But maybe we can add something that makes the default identification a bit
easier.
Currently it shows the string  "MythTV AV Media Server" plus the MythTV
version and date, now 32.202....
Which happens to be the same for my production backend and my development
laptop.
Can we tack on the hostname and/or the IP address somewhere?
E.g. "MythTV AV Media Server v32" plus "hostname:192.168.1.23" would be
perfect unless there is more than one mythbackend running per host.
I did experiment a bit but getting the MythUIButtonListItem to do what I
want proved too much on a late Sunday evening.
Also, we should agree if this is a good idea before we implement it. Maybe
a ticket.

And then there is the issue of the master backend setting being modified
when "mythfrontend --prompt" is used.
And why is it possible to start mythfrontend without the --prompt but that
it fails on a pin code validation when --prompt is used....

Klaas.