[mythtv] Loss of "This server is the Master Backend" configuration in fixes/32

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sun Feb 6 22:05:39 UTC 2022


On 06/02/2022 19:04, John Pilkington wrote:

> On 06/02/2022 14:32, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 14:43:35 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 at 12:36, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> 
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 06/02/2022 10:40, Klaas de Waal wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I have now on two different systems that the checkbox for "This 
>>>>> server
>>>>> is the Master Backend" is unexpectedly unchecked. This is with 
>>>>> testing
>>>>> the fixes/32. It could just be that I did something wrong but if 
>>>>> others
>>>>> also experience this issue it might be a bug.
>>>>>
>>>>> Klaas.
>>>>
>>>> I have mythtv-setup problems too, but thought they were caused by
>>>> unwanted interaction between boxes intended to be independent.  At
>>>> present I have switched off the problem box and am wondering if I 
>>>> need a
>>>> DB restore.    I dislike the full-screen arrogance of the default 
>>>> setup,
>>>> and that it finds several servers with no obvious way of knowing which
>>>> is which.   Fortunately, once set up, it usually works.  And I know 
>>>> I'm
>>>> supposed to use the 'ten foot interface' model with a single syatem...
>>>>
>>>> My problems did start after trying to test an updated Dutch 
>>>> translation on
>>> my laptop.
>>> It looks like starting mythfrontend with the -p command line option, as
>>> recommended in the Wiki page
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#Do_the_translation, is what 
>>> causes
>>> the problems.
>>> I did expect the "mythfrontend -p" to ask for the language; instead it
>>> comes up with a backend selection page.
>>> There are two backends shown with completely identical descriptions.
>>> Selecting the first one gives a popup box with a prompt for a PIN code.
>>> Entering 0000 fails, the box remains.
>>> Selecting the second one works OK without a PIN code. This happens 
>>> to be
>>> the production backend in my attic and this is not what I wanted so 
>>> I just
>>> exited after clicking around for a while.
>>> Now on BOTH systems, my laptop and the one in the attic, the "This 
>>> server
>>> is the Master Backend" is unchecked.
>>> I have been able to reproduce this once but not twice.
>>>
>>> Looks like there are the following issues:
>>>
>>> - The "mythfrontend -p" command is expected to ask for country and 
>>> language
>>> but instead it does something completely different. It could be that 
>>> the
>>> documentation in 
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#Do_the_translation
>>> is not correct.
>>> - The backend configuration is clobbered by "mythfrontend -p". This 
>>> should
>>> never happen and is the most serious issue.
>>> - I can NOT start mythfrontend when I select the backend via the 
>>> backend
>>> selection page; it then asks for a PIN code which is not accepted.  
>>> I can
>>> however just start mythfrontend without the "-p" option and then it 
>>> starts
>>> OK. This is inconsistent.
>>> - The two backends presented in the backend selection page have a 100%
>>> identical description. This makes selecting the correct backend a 
>>> lottery.
>>
>> If you copy /usr/share/mythtv/devicemaster.xml to
>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/devicemaster.xml and edit it there, that should
>> allow you to change the names that show up when selecting backends.
>>
>>> I also think that the default for mythtv-setup should be to appear in a
>>> window and not full screen. Typical use for mythtv-setup, at least 
>>> for me,
>>> to run it via ssh on a computer screen and not on the TV. The annoying
>>> thing is that this can only be changed in mythfrontend.
>>
>> I believe that it is possible to use -O to override settings that are
>> in the settings table if the program does not have a native way of
>> changing them.  So something like this might work:
>>
>> -O RunFrontendInWindow=1
>>
>>> Klaas.
>
> Thanks, Stephen, for your suggestions.  So far I haven't seen any 
> response to my editing of devicemaster.xml, but I did notice that one 
> box is showing 32.202201... and another 33.202202...  Perhaps it needs 
> a reboot to be effective.  I had restarted the backend.
>
>
You need to tell the backend where to look for the new devicemaster.xml 
file.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/UPnP#Overriding_the_default_devicemaster.xml_file


Paul H.



More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list