[mythtv] Loss of "This server is the Master Backend" configuration in fixes/32

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 13:43:35 UTC 2022

On Sun, 6 Feb 2022 at 12:36, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/02/2022 10:40, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have now on two different systems that the checkbox for "This server
> > is the Master Backend" is unexpectedly unchecked. This is with testing
> > the fixes/32. It could just be that I did something wrong but if others
> > also experience this issue it might be a bug.
> >
> > Klaas.
>
> I have mythtv-setup problems too, but thought they were caused by
> unwanted interaction between boxes intended to be independent.  At
> present I have switched off the problem box and am wondering if I need a
> DB restore.    I dislike the full-screen arrogance of the default setup,
> and that it finds several servers with no obvious way of knowing which
> is which.   Fortunately, once set up, it usually works.  And I know I'm
> supposed to use the 'ten foot interface' model with a single syatem...
>
> My problems did start after trying to test an updated Dutch translation on
my laptop.
It looks like starting mythfrontend with the -p command line option, as
recommended in the Wiki page
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#Do_the_translation, is what causes
the problems.
I did expect the "mythfrontend -p" to ask for the language; instead it
comes up with a backend selection page.
There are two backends shown with completely identical descriptions.
Selecting the first one gives a popup box with a prompt for a PIN code.
Entering 0000 fails, the box remains.
Selecting the second one works OK without a PIN code. This happens to be
the production backend in my attic and this is not what I wanted so I just
exited after clicking around for a while.
Now on BOTH systems, my laptop and the one in the attic, the "This server
is the Master Backend" is unchecked.
I have been able to reproduce this once but not twice.

Looks like there are the following issues:

- The "mythfrontend -p" command is expected to ask for country and language
but instead it does something completely different. It could be that the
documentation in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation#Do_the_translation
is not correct.
- The backend configuration is clobbered by "mythfrontend -p". This should
never happen and is the most serious issue.
- I can NOT start mythfrontend when I select the backend via the backend
selection page; it then asks for a PIN code which is not accepted.  I can
however just start mythfrontend without the "-p" option and then it starts
OK. This is inconsistent.
- The two backends presented in the backend selection page have a 100%
identical description. This makes selecting the correct backend a lottery.

I also think that the default for mythtv-setup should be to appear in a
window and not full screen. Typical use for mythtv-setup, at least for me,
to run it via ssh on a computer screen and not on the TV. The annoying
thing is that this can only be changed in mythfrontend.

Klaas.