[mythtv] GIT

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:34:15 UTC 2022

On 8/29/22 04:22, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 29/08/2022 05:10, James Linder wrote:
>> Hi all
>> I’m using git pretty much exactly as mythtv does. ie

>> fixes/31
>> fixes/32
>>
>> Where there will never be a merge of 31 and 32. All ticks along just
>> fine until, one dsy,
>>
>> hint: You have divergent branches and need to specify how to
>> reconcile them.
>> hint: You can do so by running one of the following commands sometime
>> before
>> hint: your next pull:
>> hint:
>> hint:   git config pull.rebase false  # merge (the default strategy)
>> hint:   git config pull.rebase true   # rebase
>> hint:   git config pull.ff only       # fast-forward only
>> hint:
>> hint: You can replace "git config" with "git config --global" to set
>> a default
>> hint: preference for all repositories. You can also pass --rebase,
>> --no-rebase,
>> hint: or --ff-only on the command line to override the configured
>> default per
>> hint: invocation.
>> fatal: Need to specify how to reconcile divergent branches.
>>
>> How does mythtv deal with this issue? I can find nothing in the docs.
>> James
>>
> This post from Peter, on 6 July, works for me.  It's buried in a
> longish thread.
>
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/dev/641470#641470
>
> John P

If you have committed on top of fixes/31, or any other upstream branch*,
you will probably want to `git checkout -b new_branch_name` and then
checkout the original branch, so you can later cherry-pick your changes
back onto upstream in a new branch from new_branch_name.

*This is bad practice, use local feature branches instead, so you can
just simply pull upstream branch_name and then rebase your feature
branch onto it (or merge if that floats your boat).

Regards,

Scott