[mythtv] Using FFmpeg master instead of release branches

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:02:58 UTC 2022

On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 at 05:45, Scott Theisen <scott.the.elm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am currently merging the FFmpeg changes until the branch point of FFmpeg 5.1 and I was wondering if we could just use the master branch of FFmpeg instead of the release branches.
>
> My reasoning is as follows:
>
> We do not add the commits to our "release" branch that FFmpeg does after its initial release.
> My understanding is that you are supposed to be able to use FFmpeg at any point on the master branch.

It may help for future major rebase/update.

But FFmpeg's API changes a lot and often.
So by using a release branch, you can easily backports all the
security updates and fixes without ever having to worry about breaking
the APIs.
If you're tracking master, you're in a lot of pain to cherry-pick the
only stuff you need.

My $0.02