[mythtv] MariaDB 10.6 oddities

Roland Ernst rcrernst at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 13:00:52 UTC 2022

I recently upgraded to MariaDB 10.6 from 10.5 during my Ubuntu upgrade to
the Ubuntu 22.04 development (beta) version.
My setup is always for multiple frontends and maybe a slave-backend.

The backend won't connect to the database, because the setting of MariaDB
"bind-address= ::"
now only selects IPv6 networks.
For IPv4 networks, it must be "bind-address=*". See (II)

The default value in Debian/Ubuntu based setups is "bind-address= 127.0.0.1"
and will only work for a combined frontend/backlend.

Setting the 'bind-address' to the IPv4 address of the backend did not work,
too. The backend will not connect to the database in this case, because
connection SQL over a socket fails on Ubuntu 22.04. I will investigate this
further.

See
(I)  https://mariadb.com/kb/en/changes-improvements-in-mariadb-106/
(II) https://mariadb.com/kb/en/server-system-variables/#bind_address