[mythtv] Wiki maintenance

Scott T scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 05:04:33 UTC 2021

I have been looking at and doing some work on the wiki, and I have
noticed most of the pages haven't been updated in a decade. Furthermore,
I have noticed that a number of pages are not really in the scope of a
wiki about MythTV, particularly pages in the category hardware. The wiki
should contain information about MythTV, the software, not stub pages
with hardware descriptions, or setup information for other software,
e.g. LIRC, X.org, ALSA, hardware drivers. Since these pages are a decade
old, the information is out of date, and much of the hardware is
obsolete or no longer manufactured.

Therefore, I propose deleting many of these extraneous pages. See
attached list. A select few pages should be archived, possibly in a new
“archived” namespace.

Separately, I would like to move
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun replacing
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:HDHomeRun

Additionally, the mediawiki version is two years unsupported. See
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Special:Version and
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle

Since https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor is bundled
with 1.35 and above, it would be nice if it was enabled.

Regarding account creation, I think the LinuxTV wiki uses
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount and I think it
is a good idea, but it is apparently broken (doesn’t validate the
captcha). https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:InviteSignup may also
be of interest.

Thanks,

Scott