[mythtv] Redone FFmpeg 4.4.1

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 17:19:21 UTC 2021

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 at 16:53, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/28/21 9:05 AM, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> >
> >> Wiadomość napisana przez Klaas de Waal <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com> w
> dniu 28.11.2021, o godz. 10:14:
> >>
> >> Skipping is OK for recordings. Skipping fails for video files. The
> video files here do not have a keyframe index and hence on a skip the file
> is read until the correct frame is found. The code for this is now broken
> devel/ffmpeg-resync.
> > Indeed. I gave try of 034a15ae2d5f51e1256a23005af54755f0a60fa2 and seek
> in video playback hangs frontend for me.
> >

> I am unable to recreate this problem. I am using VDPAU and H264 videos
> played from "Watch Videos" They do not have seek tables. Skipping back
> and forward works fine for me. If you skip too far and go past the end,
> playback stops and returns to the list. This is the same as on current
> master.
>
> Can you tell me what playback settings you have and what video you are
> using.
>
> I have tried with both of the sample videos from Klaas, tweevoortwaalf
> and the other one motogpalgarve that is 7 minutes long. I have tried
> with VDPAU and NVDEC.
>
> At the moment I have a skip forward of 30 seconds and a skip backwards of
5 seconds.
Video playback profile: "VDPAU High Quality". In the options, every
checkbox checked.
It is indeed correct that skipping beyond the end does stop playback.
The problem is that ANY SKIP backward or forward does stop playback.
This does not happen on all video files, I have a few that skip
correctly but most of them do not.
Both my sample videos, tweevoortwaalf and motogpalgarve, fail to skip.

The way for me to create a "failing video' is to copy a recording into the
videos folder and scan for changes.
After starting playback, any skip  causes a read of the complete file, so
if you use a recording of 2GB or so the popup "Searching" is shown for
quite some time before it falls back to the video file selection page.
Piotr reported "hanging" and this is probably because his files are big and
his hardware is possibly not that powerful.

Just to be really clear, this is on the "devel/ffmpeg-resync" of today.
This is the version of mythfrontend which should match yours:

[klaas at modu mma-ffmpeg]$ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v32-Pre-3032-g034a15ae2d
MythTV Branch : devel/ffmpeg-resync
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 32.20200101-1
QT Version : 5.15.2

Also, the current master plays OK. This is here the following version:

[klaas at modu mythtv]$ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v32-Pre-2988-g09c2c7718f
MythTV Branch : master
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 32.20200101-1
QT Version : 5.15.2

Even if it keeps on playing OK on your side, you might want to have a
second look at the commits that make up the changes between master and
devel/ffmpeg-resync.

Klaas.