[mythtv] FFmpeg 4.4.1 problems

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 18:19:44 UTC 2021

> My thinking is now that we can stop using the MythTV/FFmpeg repository.
> For each new resync just copy the code from the latest tag of
> FFmpeg/FFmpeg into MythTV/external/FFmpeg and apply our patches to that.
>
> For bisecting FFmpeg we will need to bisect in the FFmpeg repository,
> then copy and apply patches for each test.
>
> This is exactly what I did when searching for the offending commit.
And it is a way of working that I can understand.
Getting the git submodules to work properly needs a collection of scripts
harnessing the git commands to avoid too many mistakes, as I understand it.
Also, where I work they are not using git  modules and they do have huge
devops teams... Unless somebody stands up as the git master I prefer to
keep things as simple as possible.

About the bug itself.
I have built the mpv player against pristine ffmpeg release/4.4 and against
ffmpeg release/4.4 with the offending commit reversed and also here
reversing the commit does fix the blocking issue.
My plan is to report this to the ffmpeg bug list. YMMV but at least I
should try.

Klaas.