[mythtv] FFmpeg 4.4.1 problems

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 06:50:53 UTC 2021

On 11/24/21 8:39 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> Thank you. Great work. I plan to combine the list of commits that
> Scott Theisen created, plus the pull request that he created for
> eliminating unnecessary code that is no longer used, plus this, and
> use a new methodology as suggested by Piotr, to take the FFmpeg code
> and apply our patches on it, rather than merging the FFmpeg version
> with our code.

I rebased https://github.com/ulmus-scott/FFmpeg/commits/rebase/4.4m2 to
remove the various reversion commits I added.  See
https://github.com/ulmus-scott/FFmpeg/commits/rebase/4.4m3 , not (yet)
tested to compile at each commit.

My pull request, https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 , mostly does
not touch the FFmpeg copy in the mythtv repository.

> The list of our patches can be stored somewhere and updated as
> necessary so that it can be applied to each new FFmpeg version.
> Alternatively, once the patches have been applied to a version, they
> can be extracted again using git format-patch and applied to the next
> version with git am. This could also pick up any new patches that were
> subsequently applied to our FFmpeg code, although hopefully these
> could be kept to a minimum.
>
> Peter

It should be easier to rebase from one release branch to another, since
I have split the changes and eliminated others.

The subtitle changes need to be investigated to determine if they are
still necessary.  What the mpegts changes *are* also needs to be
determined.  Additionally, the use of internal ffmpeg headers in MythTV
needs to be replaced.

Peter: you deleted README.sync.  Was that intentional?  If so, you can
probably drop the commits editing it.

Scott