[mythtv] FFmpeg 4.4.1 problems

Scott Theisen scott.the.elm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 19:14:23 UTC 2021

On 11/16/21 12:51 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Here is a diff showing MythTV FFmpeg changes in the
> devel/ffmpeg_resync branch. There are 6277 lines of difference. These
> are the "mythtv downstream changes". Applying these changes to the
> real FFmpeg 4.4.1 gives us the MythTV devel/ffmpeg_resync copy of
> FFmpeg, per your option 1 above. I don't know if this helps.
I think what Piotr is trying to say is that it is much easier to see
what the changes are and *why* if you rebase the downstream (in this
case MythTV) changes onto the new upstream version.

This also makes applying the changes to future new versions easier,
since you only have to deal with the new upstream changes because the
downstream changes have already been rebased onto a more recent upstream.

I tried to do that, but it doesn't apply cleanly and my attempt to fix
the merge issues ended up with something not identical to the MythTV
version.  (However, I'm not that familiar with git, so I probably did
something wrong.)

clone https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg
add as upstream https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg
rebase origin release/4.4 onto upstream release/4.4

Yes, you can diff the MythTV release/4.4 with the FFmpeg release/4.4,
but that only shows you what, not why.  Git blame might help get the
reasons behind the changes, but that would be rather manual work.

The *why* is extremely important, especially when upstreaming the
changes, which should be the goal.

Regards,
Scott