[mythtv] Backend Services V2

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 19:56:41 UTC 2021

Hi Stuart

I have converted one method of one service to the new server
(Video/GetVideo)

The old service on port 6544 has the following problems:

1. The wsdl is incomplete (missing definition of type castmember and
type genre). After commenting those types in the output I can use the wsdl.

2. "Cast" never gets populated in the output (when it is not commented).
The code to populate it seems not to have been done.

The new service on port 6744 has the following problems:

1. No wsdl

2. If you invoke with a POST it gives error 405. The old service on 6544
works with a POST or a GET. The old service only rejects you if you use
a GET when it wants a POST, not the other way around. I don't know what
is the approved bahaviour, but I can confirm that I have on occasion
used a POST when a GET was expected and my application worked fine. If
this is no longer allowed some people may get an unpleasant surprise.

3. You can call the service using call syntax as follows:
http://rocinante:6744/Video/GetVideo?Id=9 and it gives a good result.
However it does not accept SOAP syntax, for example this works on port
6544 and gives expected results but on port 6744 it gives error 405:

POST http://rocinante:6744/Video HTTP/1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate

<soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:myt="http://mythtv.org">
    <soapenv:Header/>
    <soapenv:Body>
       <myt:GetVideo>
          <!--Optional:-->
          <myt:Id>9</myt:Id>
       </myt:GetVideo>
    </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

I tried commenting out the code that checks for GET (which is creating
the 405 error), and I then get a 404 error instead of the 405. It seems
that SOAP request support has not been provided.

Peter.