[mythtv] Very long recordings

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 09:16:09 UTC 2021

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 09:50, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/02/2021 07:09, Tomi Orava wrote:
> > Quoting Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>:

> >> Another anecdotal example:
> >>
> >> Also on e3cafbc0b8, using a 3rd party external recorder,
> >> and have not seen extended recordings.  Doing a BE
> >> --printsched also shows future recording time frames
> >> as expected.
> >
> > I checked out e3cafbc0b828468a65bec8ba43fcc3e589b21648 yesterday
> > and it's not working here at all. Still have these long recordings
> > going on forever.
> >
> > I'm using multiple DVB-T2 usb-tuners here.
> >
> > Will try going backwards to 8e14fe7ceba96f just to see if it fixes
> > the current problem. Once I get this back to a working state, I can
> > possibly try bisecting the versions.
> >
> > TomiO
>
> I have 542e7ce (8 Feb) under F32 and see no problem.  But I have very
> few permanent 'rules' and schedule most recordings as one-offs from the
> EIT programme guide.
>
> Similarly with e3cafbc under el7.  I have the later version for that but
> it wasn't convenient to install it yesterday.
>

> Some more data points:
- On the "Watch Recordings" screen the  still-running recordings are shown
as white, i.e. not recording anymore. Only the continuously increasing file
size does show that the recording is still continuing.
- On the "Scheduled Recordings" screen the still-running recordings are
shown as green, indicating that they are being recorded.
- This all happens on my Fedora 31 backend, Qt version 5.13.2, with 3 DVB-C
tuners (/dev/dvb/adapter*/*)  and one four-channel DVB-C HDHomeRun.
- This happens on both the DVB-C tuners and the HDHomeRun.

- My development system, Fedora 33, Qt version 5.15.2, with 1 DVB-C tuner,
does not have the problem.

Something that might help in testing this: when mythbackend is started with
"-v channel" there are lots of messages like this, repeated every 15
seconds:

2021-02-10 09:46:29.817 I  DVBChan[1](/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0): Found
visible channel ID 10004 for '4'

The message shown here indicates a current recording on tuner with cardid
1, DVB device adapter0/frontend0, and channel id plus channel number 4.
There is one such line for each active recording.
Somewhere on the list is the plan to do something about the amount of these
messages but for now it is quite handy.

Klaas.