[mythtv] Time to retire mythweb?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Dec 13 04:12:36 UTC 2021

On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 22:53:31 -0500, you wrote:

>If I understand correctly, WebFrontend won't depend on apache or nginx,
>right? In that case, will it still be possible to configure a reverse
>proxy on a non-mythtv machine running apache or nginx to expose
>WebFrontend to the internet? I'd prefer not to have to use a VPN to get
>to it when I'm not at home.

Anything that runs on a TCP port can be proxied.  But I would still
highly recommend using a VPN like OpenVPN or Wireguard instead.  They
are fully secure, where a proxy is inherently not so secure.  Once you
have put in the (significant) effort to make a VPN work, it is simple
to use, and gives you full access to your home network, not just to
one port.  I have OpenVPN clients on all my devices (phone, tablet,
laptop), and they are just click to turn on and click to turn off
again.  But I do pay to have static IP addresses, which makes doing a
VPN server easier.