[mythtv] Time to retire mythweb?

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Mon Dec 13 00:36:19 UTC 2021

On 12/12/2021 22:31, James wrote:

>> On 12 Dec 2021, at 9:22 pm, mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org
>> <mailto:mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org> wrote:
>>

>> I think I need to clear something up both MythWeb and the current
>> WebFrontend are depreciated and will be replaced by the new WebFrontend
>> that will also incorporate the new Web Setup stuff. Exactly how that
>> will look like and feel like is undecided. It will likely use Angular
>> and Material but even that is open for discussion.
>>

>> Like I've said before I don't use either, for me it dilutes what MythTV
>> was originally supposed to be :( .
>>

>> All I'm trying to do is to move things along and get devs and users
>> motivated to work on it. It's hard enough to get people motivated and
>> the negative vibe from this thread really isn't going to improve that.
>
> Paul I don't think negative vibes are being heaped here, you are just
> getting response that says this is an important tool. Depreciating it
> in favour of something yet to be invented is politically hard to do.
>
> Perhaps along lines of 'lets depreciate MythWeb and all it's warts.
> What shall we do instead?'
> For me the functionality of MythWeb is just fine. Offhand I have no
> favourite dislikes.
> James

James I do understand some people don't like change it upsets some
people but sometimes that change can be for the better :)

We are not completely fuck-wits and wont remove MythWeb until the new
web server is complete, I don't think anyone has said that was ever the
plan?,  but it is depreciated and it's unlikely to get many major
updates. If MythWeb has it's supporters then it is highly likely someone
will care enough to provide fixes for the current issues and of cause
the patches will be committed to keep MythWeb going.

I didn't explain why the WebFrontend needs rewriting one major reason is
because it and the webserver uses QtScript which has been depreciated in
Qt5 for some time and has been removed from Qt6 altogether. Qt6 is
already at version 6.2 and is now mostly complete.  I think 6.2 is or
will be an LTS release so it is likely to be included in many more
distros so the change has been forced on us it wasn't by choice.  I hope
you can appreciate the reason behind it.

Could we continue to use MythWeb as a base? Probably but since it is
ancient and uses old technology like php which runs on the server side
those that are doing the work decided since the WebFrontend and MythWeb
need updating anyway why not move to some new technology like Angular
and Material. Is that a good choice I don't know it's not me working on
it and I respect the opinion of those that are doing the work to let
them use what they want.  I have done several websites and used php on
all of them  just because it's what I know but it does slow a busy site
down because it runs on the server not the client unlike many of the
current frameworks like Angular which pushes more of the work onto the
client side. At the end of the day it should be up to the ones doing the
work to decide :)

I briefly touched on it earlier in the thread but another reason for the
change is so that the functionality of what mythtv-setup provides will
be available in the new Web Server so you can configure your backend
from any web browser potentially from any where in the world. So
basically the backend machine can become a true headless server with no
need for an UI to run to it.

I'm really not trying to piss anyone off. All I'm trying to do is put
people in the picture of what the plan is and why.

Paul H.