[mythtv] Time to retire mythweb?

James jam at tigger.ws
Sun Dec 12 12:54:15 UTC 2021

> On 12 Dec 2021, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
> The current plan is to write the new web backend using Angular that will
> use the Services API exclusively and not require direct access to the
> MythTV database or the Myth protocol.
>

> If there are any developers familiar with Angular would like to help out
> with this then please get in touch :)

I've not played with either, so my question is bona-fide:

Why would WebFrontEnd not just be a compiled QT companion app to mythtv.
It seems that QT has all the bits to make a sever and all the network goodies to interact with the API. Heck you could even easily have a web player as part of it and host the app on linux/mac/winders/android/ios without any drama. The biggest heartaches of MythWeb have been getting all the bits together for this arbitary platform.
I'm not sure java answers the question 'Oh sherbit jdk on your ancient ipad does not have wizbang that we need.'
The #1 goal ought to be 'make it easy for the users, while keeping it interesting for the devs' not 'easy for the devs, to hell with those users who don't toe the line.

EG ask John Hoyt how he has struggled with the python metadata grabber bits on his macOS mythfrontend.
James