[mythtv] Time to retire mythweb?

James jam at tigger.ws
Sun Dec 12 12:20:10 UTC 2021

> On 12 Dec 2021, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> Before formally retiring mythweb on RPM Fusion as it doesn't work with the latest PHP I wanted to confirm that it will not be updated.
>> I can't find the reference, but the last statement by the
>> devs that I recall was that mythweb was considered
>> depreciated, and that while pull requests would be
>> considered, do not expect updates/fixes.
>>
>> And there are no pull requests in the repo for php 8
>> support (and no one has indicated they are actively
>> working on it, although who knows if someone is
>> doing so).
>>
>> With the (upcoming) v32, it has been stated that the
>> plan was that a new (internal) replacement will be made
>> available which includes the equivalent functionality,
>> which is where I suspect most dev time is going towards.
>>

>> An alternative for those that are running newer
>> distros that use php 8 could be to build your
>> own php 7 (likely painful) or run a container
>> with apache and php 7 (lots of recipes out there
>> to do so).
>

> There was a PR but looks like it got closed because of an undisclosed
> issue with it.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythweb/issues/63 <https://github.com/MythTV/mythweb/issues/63>
>

> The hope is to retire MythWeb and create a new web frontend that as well
> as incorporating the features of MythWeb and/or WebFrontend it would
> also incorporate a new Web Setup stuff allowing the backend to be
> configured from a browser or another client that uses the Services API
> so mythtv-setup can be removed.
>

> The current plan is to write the new web backend using Angular that will
> use the Services API exclusively and not require direct access to the
> MythTV database or the Myth protocol.
>

> If there are any developers familiar with Angular would like to help out
> with this then please get in touch :)

Some time ago I very rudely described WebFrontend as being for the mobile phone set.
I too use MythWeb exclusively because it just works.

I want a tool that does my task, with a minimum of fuss and without impressing me as to how clever or artisticly talented the programmers are. If WebFrontend meets those critera  then good else we have a situtation where developer talent is diluted trying to maintain MythWeb

James