[mythtv] Time to retire mythweb?

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sat Dec 11 17:14:13 UTC 2021

On 11/12/2021 16:52, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 3:16 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Before formally retiring mythweb on RPM Fusion as it doesn't work with the latest PHP I wanted to confirm that it will not be updated.
> I can't find the reference, but the last statement by the
> devs that I recall was that mythweb was considered
> depreciated, and that while pull requests would be
> considered, do not expect updates/fixes.
>
> And there are no pull requests in the repo for php 8
> support (and no one has indicated they are actively
> working on it, although who knows if someone is
> doing so).
>
> With the (upcoming) v32, it has been stated that the
> plan was that a new (internal) replacement will be made
> available which includes the equivalent functionality,
> which is where I suspect most dev time is going towards.
>

> An alternative for those that are running newer
> distros that use php 8 could be to build your
> own php 7 (likely painful) or run a container
> with apache and php 7 (lots of recipes out there
> to do so).

There was a PR but looks like it got closed because of an undisclosed
issue with it.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythweb/issues/63

The hope is to retire MythWeb and create a new web frontend that as well
as incorporating the features of MythWeb and/or WebFrontend it would
also incorporate a new Web Setup stuff allowing the backend to be
configured from a browser or another client that uses the Services API
so mythtv-setup can be removed.

The current plan is to write the new web backend using Angular that will
use the Services API exclusively and not require direct access to the
MythTV database or the Myth protocol.

If there are any developers familiar with Angular would like to help out
with this then please get in touch :)

Paul H.