[mythtv] Configure errors after 40c6bac0

David Hampton mythtv at love2code.net
Fri Apr 23 14:39:56 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-04-23 at 14:09 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Recent commit 40c6bac0 made a change to the
> configure script that presumes that the compilation
> will be running in a git checkout (rather than a tar
> archive as provided via the project's website, or
> a github archive retrieval, both of which do not
> include the various git artifacts) and results in a
> message during configure of the form:
>
>     fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories):
> .git
>
> It would appear to also result in a wrong check for
> the minimum Qt version at some point in the future
> for Qt6 checks(*).

Would you really have a branch with qt6 in the name but intentionally
compile it against the qt5 libraries? ;-)

I can move that check later to after the script determines which qmake
it will use.

> Using git processing inside configure has come
> up before, and has previously been rejected.

I was unaware of this history, so it was a while ago.

> Is this a change in the project's position on that
> approach?

Not intentionally.

Do you have a better recommendation for a heuristic for deciding
whether to check for the existence of qmake-qt6? Unconditionally
checking for its existence at this point isn't an option. Once all the
remaining qt6 issues in the code are fixed it that can be done, but it
will be a while.

The simplest fix for me would be to revert the change and require users
to explicitly pass the '--qmake=<blah>' option to compile with qt6.

David