[mythtv] Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 19:36:13 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 1:04 PM Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

> On 26/09/2020 20:00, Roland Ernst wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 8:02 PM Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
> > <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 26/09/2020 17:25, Roland Ernst wrote:
> >
> >      > Ah, I see. Metadata lookup has an 'auto' mode, which selects
> >     unconditionally
> >      > the best match, or the first one, in case of no criteria.
> >      > I will see if I can use this to break the loop.
> >
> >     Will that mean losing the option to choose artwork?
> >
> > I like the way it was done in v29 and will try to restore this in a more
> > safe way.
>
> Excellent!

<rant>
My main gripe with the metadata art grabber is that it grabs the WRONG art.
If it is not an *exact* match then it should not grab it!!!!!!!!!!!!  I
would rather have no artwork than the wrong artwork. An example is the
movie "Basic" has the artwork for "Basic Up".  The grabber should not allow
substrings to match in either direction.

Even better would be if it grabbed artwork in the correct language. It is
amazing how much of my artwork is in Japanese.

It would be nice if the grabber paid attention to the original air date (if
available) to help pick which version of the movie or tv show it should
match. For example, I recorded The Avengers (2012) and the grabber gave me
artwork for The Avengers (1961)
</rant>

John