[mythtv] Service API RecordSchedule shortcoming

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 13:35:51 UTC 2020

On 9/4/20 8:35 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 6:10 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com
> <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/4/20 4:17 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>     >
>     > When creating or updating a recording schedule with the service
>     API, you can specify a Recording Group (recgroup). However if you
>     provide a new
>     > recording group, the service API disregards it and sets the
>     Recording Group to "Default".
>     >
>     > There is no service API method to create a new recording group.
>     >
>     > In MythFrontend, recording groups are created just by entering a
>     new one when setting up a recording rule.
>     >
>     > Note there is no way to delete a recording group, either with
>     the frontend or the API.
>     >
>     > I propose to change the Service API so that it will create a new
>     recording group if one is supplied that does not already exist.
>     This is in line
>     > with how the frontend works, and will solve my problem.
>     >
>     > Anybody have any comments or objections?
>     >
>     > Peter
>
>     Just tested the above and agree, the new RecGroup was ignored.
>     Dvr/GetRecGroupList
>     didn't display it either. So, it doesn't exist in any
>     record.recgroup or in
>     recgroups.
>
>     No objections, it's broken.
>

> Personally, I think a new call should be added for the creation of a
> new recording group. That would allow the specification of a recording
> group "template" including the filters and such. While that is
> different than the current frontend behavior, I would argue that the
> current frontend behavior is not ideal.
>
> John

Hi John

The recgroups table only has recgroup, display name and password. The
frontend always sets the display name the same as the recgroup name. The
display name is not used. I updated the display name of a recgroup in
the database as a test and the frontend still displays the recgroup name.

There is already the ability to create templates through the
AddRecordSchedule service API call, but only for a recgroup that already
exists. My proposed change would allow template creation for a new recgroup.

A new add recgroup api would only be adding a regroup name. The
GetRecGroupList api only returns the recgroup name, not the display name
or password, so it would not be logical for an add recgroup api to
supply those.

Peter