[mythtv] Service API RecordSchedule shortcoming

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sat Sep 5 11:09:41 UTC 2020

On 05/09/2020 01:35, John P Poet wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 6:10 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com
> <mailto:keemllib at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/4/20 4:17 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>     >
>     > When creating or updating a recording schedule with the service
>     API, you can specify a Recording Group (recgroup). However if you
>     provide a new
>     > recording group, the service API disregards it and sets the
>     Recording Group to "Default".
>     >
>     > There is no service API method to create a new recording group.
>     >
>     > In MythFrontend, recording groups are created just by entering a
>     new one when setting up a recording rule.
>     >
>     > Note there is no way to delete a recording group, either with
>     the frontend or the API.
>     >
>     > I propose to change the Service API so that it will create a new
>     recording group if one is supplied that does not already exist.
>     This is in line
>     > with how the frontend works, and will solve my problem.
>     >
>     > Anybody have any comments or objections?
>     >
>     > Peter
>
>     Just tested the above and agree, the new RecGroup was ignored.
>     Dvr/GetRecGroupList
>     didn't display it either. So, it doesn't exist in any
>     record.recgroup or in
>     recgroups.
>
>     No objections, it's broken.
>

> Personally, I think a new call should be added for the creation of a
> new recording group. That would allow the specification of a recording
> group "template" including the filters and such. While that is
> different than the current frontend behavior, I would argue that the
> current frontend behavior is not ideal.
>
> John

Well one of the original premise of the Services API was to separate the
clients from needing to use or even know what the underlying DB format
was so ideally when you set up a new recording schedule  using the
services API that uses a new Recording Group it should just do the right
thing without the client having to worry about checking to see if the
Recording Group exists or not.

Of cause you can do both - have a more high level API that always tries
to do the right thing and a low level one that allows you to
add/delete/modify recording groups as needed. The important thing in my
view is the services API should be consistent though out so what we do
here will determine the future direction the API will take.

Just my tuppence worth feel free to ignore :)

Paul H.